Friday, January 15, 2010

Practicality

For our introduction to business class, we will be writing a business plan throughout the semester, adding to it each week. That would be fairly easy, except, it is a group projects. I really dislike group projects, as it takes longer and a couple of people end up doing all the work for the group anyways. Seeing as our grade is effected by the work of everyone in the group, I offered to do the final write up so I won't worry about others getting their share done. As we are trying to write the first one, it feels as I am trying to force practicality on the other students. Yes, their business idea might be nice, but does it work?

Mission Statement:
To create a place for social gathering with a menu offering unique coffee blends to bring minds and people together.

That sounds lofty and such, but........
It seems very impractical and it isn't really going to be in high demand. We have to decide who we are going to try to attract to our "Coffee Shop". We also have to decide what "our unique advantage" is, basically, how are we different than other businesses. I don't think we really have anything that sets us apart from other businesses.

I have only heard back from 2 of the 5 people in the group. I guess if worse comes to worse, then I can make the plan how I want and they can complain later. I would prefer a good grade to people being happy with me, though it would be nice if it was possible to achieve both at the same time. I really don't like being the leader, though I guess I'm not much good following either. *sigh* We shall get through the semester.

2 comments:

sarahlaughed said...

Ick! I almost loathe group projects because of this. Ack! Let me do my own work, PLEASE!

Nicholai said...

While you are at it why don't you suggest a sword fighting ring. Nothing brings people together more then drinking coffee followed by an incredibly dangerous sparring match.