Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Today's Walk


Braving the snow and cold, I went for a walk in our woods. Some of the leaves are still green, with not even a hint of yellow or red. It looks odd to see the snow on the bright green grass. The colors in the woods seems to be on the whole, brighter and more cheerful now that cool weather has come. Swarms of mosquito's seems a long off memory.

Halfway through the woods, I happened to look to my side. Only four yards away there was a white tailed deer standing there with wide eyes watching me. It must have been a yearling, for it was smaller than most deer at this time of the year. Its ears perked up and it stood attentively, stiff as a statue, deciding the best course of action. Turning swiftly, it bounded into the underbrush, its white tail bobbing as it ran.

The sky was threatening snow, and unfortunately I did not have a coat, for my sister decided to leave it at our co-op. Though still cold, the snow on the grass was melting; my tennis shoes became drenched with water, making a disturbing squeak as I walked. Occasionally, a pile of snow would fall off of some leaves overhead and tumble to the ground in front of me.

Looking across our neighbors pasture from our hill, I could clearly see the dark clouds swifly fleeing towards the east. The horses quietly grazed, barely heeding my approach. Suddenly, the sun peaked out from behind the clouds from where it had hidden it's face all afternoon. The whole pasture was bathed in a golden hue. Yellow felcked the horse's manes and body. The red of the nearby oak tree stood out. As sundenly as it had come forth, the sun once again removed its self from veiw, and once again, the world was covered with its blanket of grey clouds.

No comments: