(note: things are in parenthesis not for a sarcastic reason, but because the things are called something that they are not and thus is does not seem right to refer to them by that name) This post is not at all meant to be sarcastic, it is simply some observations that I noticed when visiting Grandma and Grandpa's former church for its 75 anniversary.
'twas good and not so grand
Good: We were able to meet lots of people that knew Dad, like one lady that had baby sat him and out Aunt when they were little.
We also got to meet Great Uncle Jean, Grandma's brother, who I had only met once before and were able to see the House in Which Grandma grew up in with her brothers and sisters. the house is a very cute snug little house, one that would be great fun to play hide and seek in, for there are many cubby holes and hidden closets, but it is almost unbelievable that Grandma's whole family (of nine) could actually fit.
Bad: We didn't get to go to a service
Yes, there was a "service", but it wasn't service. The whole atmosphere of the "sanctuary" was really sad. When you walked in the fist thing that came to your attention was the front of the "sanctuary". No candles, no alter, no crucifix, no pulpit, no lectern, not even a cross to be seen. (We did find out later that there was cross, but it was covered by the screen. Extremely sad, and ironic) Now, despite the many missing articles, the front was hardly empty. The noise in the "sanctuary" was loud, as many friends chatted together.
The "service" would have been good if it had been referred to as just a celebration, for indeed, it was NOT a service. No Word, No Sacraments, Not even a sermon. In the whole course of this 2 and 1/2 hour "service", we heard a whole three verses from the Bible. How in the world can those Christian s survive on such a meager diet? No wonder they aren't used to looking at scripture in its context!
Anyways, I think (if I ever get around to it) I will post some more about it later. Right now I have to go have a water fight with Miss Nan, Matt, and Bunny. Yay! :)
Wow, I think this is the longest post yet!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment