Wednesday, August 13, 2008

thoughts from the 4-H lemonade booth

The little boy that stopped and talked to me about his new stuffed green and purple stuffed animal, who is he? What is his family like? The couple with him didn't seem to care much about him at all, walking way from him while he was still commenting on how big the lizards purple feet were. The little boy barely noticed that they had left in time to see where they disappeared into the crowd. Why did they do that? Was the man really his father, or was the woman just his dad's girlfriend? Or were they truly a loving family who cared for him and just happened to be deep in conversation and didn't realize that he wasn't with them.

I wish these girls I'm working with would stop flirting with the boys. We are going to get absolutely no business with them laughing and giggling, and making rude remarks like this. Please! Wash your hands before you make the lemonade after you have touched money.

Oh, we need more ice. Hey! Look! The ice is in a building instead of under a tent this year. Hmmm.... that smoke is awful....I wish that concession stand wasn't right next to the booth. The chainsaw booth. Daddy. Wood. Hmmm... that lady looks familiar. Lets see, can I sign my name on that sheet of paper upside down? :D [smile] That lady spelled my name wrong. OH, wow! Ice is cold. Goodness! This is the third time I've had to get some ice for the booth today.

I really wish who ever brought the supplies for this booth wouldn't put the sugar up so high. I have to use a ladder to get to it. You know, that little boy with the purple lizard was alot like Martin.....I wonder if the Stuckwischs have gotten back yet?

"Can I help you?" "One lemonade? That will be 1.75. " One seventy five, two, three, four, five, ten, twenty. "Here's your change. Thank you for supporting 4-H. " " Um girls could you please make one lemonade? I can't do it cause I have touched money."

Oh, no. Here comes some one I know. Hide. Wait I can't do that. Ummm...... Uh. "Hi, can I help you" Smile me, smile. Don't hurt their feeling by frowning: smile.

Oh, at last. Finally I have help! This booth is supposed to have four people working it, not one and a half. What! Uh oh. I guess were illegal. Hmmm. No adults working this shift. Wait. Mrs. Keifer basically left me as the adult. Oh, wow. And I'm younger than all of these people. Their doing the lemonade all wrong. I guess someone has to show them how to do it.

Roll the lemons. Put on gloves. Slice the lemons. Squeeze the lemons. Put two scoops of sugar in the cup, no, not heaping scoops. Oh, customers. "How can I help you?" Oh, I need to get more sugar down. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I've been in here for a whole eight hours!!!!! I need to get out. Stay calm. You can make it. If you leave they won't be able to do it.

Oh, at last! Here comes Mrs. Keifer! I can leave! Yay! I enjoy working in the booth, but eight hours of it can become tiring.

2 comments:

Nicholai said...

interesting

sarahlaughed said...

Thank you so much Snap. The goat show was demanding, but maybe not nearly as demanding as what you put up with. Mrs. Keifer is very greatful as are the rest of the truly committed teen club members